Ocean Sound launched on 12th October 1986, initially with two services – Ocean Sound (West) that covered Southampton, Winchester and the Isle of Wight. Ocean Sound (East) that covered Portsmouth and the surrounding area.
Ocean Sound (West) used 103.2 FM/1557 AM and Ocean Sound (East) used 97.5 FM/1170 AM. Both services shared breakfast and evening programmes with daytime output and specialist programmes broadcasting uniquely on each service.
On 6th December 1987, Ocean Sound’s coverage area was extended with an additional service covering the Winchester area called Ocean Sound (North) – The Light FM, which relayed the Ocean Sound (West) service with local news, travel and programmes during the morning, early afternoon and early evening.
1988 saw the Ocean Sound network undergo a massive re-organisation of it’s frequencies and services as follows:-
- Ocean Sound (East/North) become FM only and was simply renamed as Ocean Sound and The Light FM
- Ocean Sound (West) became FM only and a new station launched, the very popular and some would say ‘ground-breaking’ 103.2 Power FM with 90 second news leading upto to the top of the hour (a first in the UK!)
- Ocean Sound on AM became The Gold AM – an oldies station
- From 10pm until 6am, all of the Ocean FM/AM services (apart from Power) branded simply as ‘Night Life’
1991 saw yet another round of changes with the merger of Ocean Sound and Southern Sound and the services were as follows:-
- Ocean Sound and The Light FM combined to bcome Ocean Sound FM ‘Classic Hits (later renamed to simply Ocean FM (later to become Heart ‘Solent’)
- Power FM continued as before (later to become Galaxy then Capital ‘South Coast’
- The Gold AM merged with Southern Sound’s AM frequencies to create South Coast Radio (later to become Capital Gold and then Smooth Radio).
Ocean Sound/FM features some great mixes and demos of jingles produced by LBS, Groove Addicts, IQ Beats and many more.
More to be added when digitised.
**All audio is downloadable – enjoy**
DISCLAIMER: All audio featured on this website remains the IP of the respective companies and is protected under copyright.
NEW: Ocean Sound (1986) – Demo – LBS
NEW: LBS Mini Mix #8 – Ocean Sound (1986) (Custom)
NEW: LBS Mini Mix #9 – Ocean Sound (1986) – News Themes (Custom)
NEW: Ocean Sound (1988) – Demo – LBS
NEW: LBS Mini Mix #10 – Ocean Sound (1988) (Custom)
NEW: LBS Mini Mix #11 – Ocean Sound (1988) – News (Custom)
NEW: LBS Mini Mix #5 – The Gold AM (1988) (Composite)
NEW: LBS Mini Mix #6 – The Light FM (1988) (Custom/Composite)
NEW: LBS Mini Mix #7 – Night Life (1988) (Composite)
From 10pm until 6am, all of the Ocean FM/AM services (apart from Power) branded simply as ‘Night Life’
NEW: Ocean Classics (Ocean Sound FM) (1991) – Demo – David Arnold Music (Tracks) & TM Century (Vocals)
NEW: David Arnold Music Mini Mix #50 – Ocean Sound FM (1991) (TM Vocals) (Ocean Classics)
NEW: TM Century Mini Mix #68 – Ocean Sound FM (1991) (Composite)
NEW: JAM Mini Mix #274 – Ocean FM (1992) (Composite)
NEW: Groove Addicts Mini Mix #29 – Ocean FM (1997) (Custom)
NEW: Ocean FM (2001) – Demo – Vibe Music & Audio Imaging
NEW: IQ Beats Mini Mix #38 – Ocean FM (2003) – Part #1 (Custom)
NEW: IQ Beats Mini Mix #39 – Ocean FM (2003) – Part 2 (Custom)
NEW: Ocean FM (January- December 2005) – Imaging Sampler – JJ McKay
A very small sample of the hundreds of liners JJ McKay did in 2005 for Ocean FM as part of a Century FM/Ocean FM year long deal.